Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On , Ding Yi Chen wrote:
Even if you do, you cannot change the exist tutorial, blog, and forums that
refer /var/log/messages.

Image the following scenario:
Suppose a Fedora newbie (or linux newbie) encounters a problem,
most of the search results state: Check /var/log/messages

He/She will be very frustrated if he/she cannot find it.

This is not really an argument, or it is valid for any changes.
What about the switch from up2date to yum years ago? I know, I first tried
to run up2date before being shout at that it's normal it does not work
anymore since yum is there. What about the future change from yum to dnf? Should we try to keep both in place just because google has more reference
to yum?

So, the fact that tutorials and blogs are mentioning /var/log/messages is
not a valid argument :)

Pierre