Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Mon, 15.07.13 14:28, Eric Smith (brouhaha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > One process less in the system → faster bootup.
>
> As has been pointed out, it could easily be the systemd journal
> process that writes to /var/log/messages, so there wouldn't
> necessarily be one fewer process.
>
> > Logs not duplicated → less disk usage.
>
> True. So keep /var/log/messages and make the binary journal optional.

Nope. /var/log/messages is highly lossy, for example, we cannot even use
it for showing the "systemctl status" output we now have, which includes
the last 10 log lines.

That train has left the station. We created the journal with real
usecases in mind, and we are not giving those up.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.