Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Mon, 15.07.13 15:28, Eric Smith (brouhaha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (But
> > really, the comparison is just wrong, since the registry is a
> > configuration store, and not a log store.)
>
> It's not a perfect analogy, yet the arguments for both seem very
> similar, which is why I brought it up. We should try to learn from the
> mistakes made by other systems, rather than rushing to repeat them.
>
> Microsoft uses binary logs also, and they are really awful.  Maybe
> your binary journal is far better than MS' logs, but  all the
> arguments I've seen for it so far make it seem like the advantages are
> mainly for complex use cases, and for those someone is going to do a
> bunch of system configuration work anyhow, so it doesn't make sense
> for that to be the default.  The default should be simple, and the
> configuration should be done if you want something complex, rather
> than the other way around.

Showing the last 10 log lines for "systemctl status" is not a "complex
usecase". Quite frankly, seeing the most recent log output of a service
is certainly the most relevant information when you are wondering about
a service's state. There is no efficient, correct way how you could
implement that on top of /var/log/messages.

journalctl makes things easier, not more complex. Sure, you have to
learn a new tool, but the level is low for this one, and you will gain a
lot more out of it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.