Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (But
> really, the comparison is just wrong, since the registry is a
> configuration store, and not a log store.)

It's not a perfect analogy, yet the arguments for both seem very
similar, which is why I brought it up. We should try to learn from the
mistakes made by other systems, rather than rushing to repeat them.

Microsoft uses binary logs also, and they are really awful.  Maybe
your binary journal is far better than MS' logs, but  all the
arguments I've seen for it so far make it seem like the advantages are
mainly for complex use cases, and for those someone is going to do a
bunch of system configuration work anyhow, so it doesn't make sense
for that to be the default.  The default should be simple, and the
configuration should be done if you want something complex, rather
than the other way around.

Eric