Re: Unhelpful update descriptions

Debarshi Ray wrote:
> It is a bit strange that we freeze before the release, and then move
> on to a Rawhide like environment where anything can be pushed by
> anybody at any point in time.

And the answer to that is to find a way to drop or relax the release
freezes. (I'd suggest to have Bodhi distinguish between 3 targets instead of
2 in pre-release freeze periods: testing, stable (0-day updates) and
freeze_override. Then stable would be open for pushes just like after the
release, and freeze_override would be controlled as stable is now (and
updates pending approval for freeze_override would automatically get pushed
to stable in the meantime).) That would help solving a lot of problems,
including but not limited to upgrade path issues around release day.

> We have been working around this by semi-formally co-ordinating all
> GNOME updates to stable releases.

We're doing the same for KDE updates, but for a simple reason: upstream
releases the packages at the same time and users are expected to use
matching versions, so it wouldn't make sense to split things.

Updating a coherent stack that is released by upstream as such in one batch
makes a lot of sense, of course. But IMHO, that approach doesn't make much
(if any) sense if the upstream releases are not coordinated.

        Kevin Kofler