Re: ConsoleKit and esound retirement

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> There is no Fedora 20 rawhide.

There will be one in less than 4 weeks.

> (and as mentioned, exorcising CK from packages is rather simple usually,
> as in most cases you will just delete code, not add new code).

I don't think that's true. As far as I know, LightDM relies on ConsoleKit
for some essential functionality, and upstream has zero interest in systemd
given that they're Ubuntu. So there is one person at Fedora / Red Hat who is
trying to port it to systemd all alone, he's not done yet. I don't know what
the state of the other affected packages is, but I assume there's also more
to do than just disabling ConsoleKit support or it would have been already
done (as we did for KDM long ago). For example, if a desktop (or even a
display manager, like LightDM) wants to use ConsoleKit for shutdown/restart
or, worse (in terms of porting effort), user switching, this all has to be
ported to systemd, not just disabled.

I agree that ConsoleKit needs to go away, but FIRST all packages using it
must be ported away from it, THEN it can be retired.

        Kevin Kofler