Re: Mass changes to packaging

Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 08/25/2012 07:09 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> He's saying that %systemd_post and %systemd_post_enable should do the
>> exact SAME thing on F18, i.e. enable the service if and only if the
>> policy says it should be enabled, no matter what the package says. In
>> other words, make the "_enable" suffix only relevant for F16 and F17 and
>> ignored entirely on F18.
>
> I suppose that's up to the systemd maintainer, but I don't think it
> makes sense to be making that sort of significant change to already
> released Fedora versions.

Huh? I don't follow you at all, and (I'm sorry, but) I get the impression
that you STILL don't understand what the proposal is.

Let me try to rephrase again how I understood Tom Lane's proposal:

1. On released Fedora versions, i.e. 16 and 17, define %systemd_post and
%systemd_post_enable as proposed by you:

%systemd_post() \
if [ $1 -eq 1 ] ; then \
        # Initial installation \
        /bin/systemctl daemon-reload >/dev/null 2>&1 || : \
fi \
%{nil}

%systemd_post_enable() \
if [ $1 -eq 1 ] ; then \
        # Initial installation \
        /bin/systemctl enable %{?*} >/dev/null 2>&1 || : \
fi \
%{nil}

2. On UNRELEASED Fedora versions, i.e. Fedora 18 and higher, define
%systemd_post as currently done, and %systemd_post_enable to the exact same
thing.

3. In the packaging guidelines, make packages replace the daemon-reload
snippet with %systemd_post and the enable snippet with %systemd_post_enable.

The result would be that:
(i) On released Fedora versions, nothing at all changes (!!!), we just
replaced a snippet by a macro which expands to the exact same snippet.
(ii) On upcoming Fedora versions, we implemented the feature just as if one
single %systemd_post macro had been used. The "_enable" suffix is ignored
entirely on upcoming Fedora versions (but NOT on released ones).

        Kevin Kofler