Re: *countable infinities only

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:54:20 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:03:23AM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
>>
>> > This I do not understand.  By reports in the admittedly
>> > incompetent magazines dealing with home computers, Microsoft's
>> > policy is to keep Fedora, and any other OSes, except for
>> > Microsoft OSes, off all Microsoft Certified ARM devices.
>>
>> I think you've answered your own question there.
>>
>> > Further questions ad ARM: According to Microsoft, can, in future,
>> > "SecureBoot" be disabled on Microsoft Certified ARM devices?
>> > Will the person who walks out of the store with a Microsoft
>> > Certified ARM device be able to put their own signing key in?
>> > What about the PK?
>>
>> No, Windows 8 ARM devices will not permit the user to install their own
>> keys or disable secure boot. That's why we're not going to support them.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>Thanks, Matthew.
>
>Just one word before I break off, if I can ;), engagement for today:
>
>If I understand correctly, Fedora has now formally allowed
>Microsoft to lock Fedora out of many coming ARM devices.

Fedora (or any other Linux) won't run on most of the ARM devices out
there already, so what is your point?

Apple certainly isn't allowing Fedora to run on the iPad or iPhone.

Samsung isn't allow Fedora to run on their tablets.

And even if they didn't prevent it, there is no open source drivers
for much of the hardware in those devices anyway, and no documentation
to write any.

The only place Linux like Fedora can run on ARM are a handful of
developer devices like BeagleBoard, PandaBoard, Raspberry PI, etc. and
even that will often require a binary blob.