Re: *countable infinities only

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:21:14PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> I think 50 million dollars toward buying, and properly arranging
> the UEFI, of several lots of x86 computers would indeed solve
> part of the problem you point out.
> > Why not?

Because said machines would cost more than identical hardware with different firmware. Sales of Linux-specific PC hardware haven't been massively successful so far.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why should they cost more?

And suppose they cost $20 more.  Let Red Hat pay this, and/or run
an ad campaign explaining that with this motherboard, you can
actually know what is running on the machine.

Bob Young, a master of propaganda^Hsales, had a wonderful spiel
in favor of free software which included the line "Why would you
buy a car with the hood welded shut?".

ad previous lack of success of sales of GNU/Linux machines: In
every case I know, Microsoft just bribed/threatened the vendor to
stop selling the machines.

If Red Hat accedes to Microsoft's demands here, there will be no,
let me repeat, no hardware that Fedora can be easily installed
on.  Here is why:

By your own explanation, you think that without the special key,
controlled by Microsoft, Fedora would be too hard for some people
to install.  OK, so you agree that Fedora must get permission
from Microsoft to allow easy installs of Fedora.

The game is now just about over.  What if one day, Microsoft
makes it even harder to install Fedora without a Microsoft
controlled key?  What if, as has already happened with ARM,
Microsoft refuses to grant Fedora a special key?

No.  Let Red Hat tell the truth.  Let Red Hat design a better
UEFI motherboard.

oo--JS.