Re: Unnanounced migration phase at its end, non-transparency, "open" community project ... (was: No more kernel-source(code) ???)

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

If you want to build a kernel, there's a well-known procedure to turn
a source RPM into a binary RPM.

This is the part I'm missing. Right now, anyone who tries to mount an ntfs partition will get a message that says "no nfts support in kernel." If they google this message, it will say "cd /usr/src/linux" etc....

If you are going to change this procedure for Fedora Core to something like "install the src.rpm, edit a config file and rebuild it etc," it should not change mid-release!!!!!!!!! Doing away with kernel-source absolutely should NOT happen until Fedora Core 3, so that it can be completely documented. And not with an appendix or a mailing list archive posting or an article on a third-party website or anything short of a real document that's posted on fedora.redhat.com.

If RedHat is going to continue to ship default kernels on a user-oriented "community supported" linux distribution that lack crucial functionality for a large percentage of your target audience, you've got to make it clear how to enable this stuff. And I'm not saying you won't, or that great document is not in the pipes or anything like that. I'm just anticipating the FLOOD of bad reviews that a Fedora Core distribution which lacks /usr/src/linux will generate, that's all.

- Aaron Bennett

-- Aaron Bennett UNIX Administrator Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering