Re: PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 13:08:48 -0500, Al wrote:

> I  want more updates. I want them to be more frequent, incremental and
> each  reasonably  well tested. Trying to do too many changes at a time
> not  only  leads to an increased likelihood of error, it makes it much
> harder   to   determine   which   update  caused  a  particular  issue
> (regression, or simple behaviour change).

Then you need to evaluate the software at a lower level, though, instead
of waiting for official releases. You get incremental changes only if you
examine snapshots of the source code as found in a project's vcs.
Upstream next official release may contain too many changes already.
Even minor releases break badly sometimes, if a developer decided to
rewrite code sections.

> I  want a Fedora playground that is up-to-date (not quite rawhide, but
> supported  if  I  find  an issue). I am willing to accept a reasonable
> amount  of  risk,  churn  and  extra  effort  as  part  of the cost of
> receiving those extra updates. The primary benefit to me is seeing new
> features and bug fixes in a useful timeframe.

There are packagers, who won't like to take such a risk in released
versions of Fedora, however. I would oppose also a policy that forced me to
upgrade to latest releases without a technical requirement/rationale.