Re: PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

Hello Seth,

Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 8:38:44 AM, you wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

>> On Tuesday 09 March 2010 14:02:07 Seth Vidal wrote:
> I'm sure with the same logic I can say a lot of things.
> What I said was " I want fewer broken things."

> -sv

Seth,

The problem is that when things do get broken in a stable release, the
updates  that  fix  the  problem  often  only get released in the next
release.

When I installed F11, two of  my systems ran fine  for the install and
those  updates  available at time of installation. One of those was an
Intel  system  which  only  was  able to do graphical install with the
final release (not any of the snapshots before release). The other was
an older ATI board.

Both  systems  were borked by X11 updates that came one week after the
GA. I was able to get both system running vesa-mode with help from the
mailing  list.  I  dutifully  opened  bug  reports...  which I updated
regularly.  It took on the order of three months until things got back
into good enough shape to run native X again. Part of that was because
I'd  upgraded  my  monitor and replaced the built-in Intel with an ATI
card  (needed  to  support  a widescreen LCD at 1920x1200).

I  am  worried  that  the  direction a number of folks is taking would
place  excessive  focus  on  minimizing  risk  due  to  changes. Stuff
happens,  so  in  complex  areas  such as X my experience of a "stable
release"  being broken a week after release was unpleasant but not all
that  unexpected.  What was unexpected was that it would be acceptable
for this regression to be left unaddressed for months, with all of the
development resources focused on the next release.

My  primary  server is stuck at F10, waiting for the bind/dnssec smoke
to  clear. Until I can get my second server functional at F12, it will
not be touched. Reality says that I need it functional so I can log in
to my day job and get stuff done.

Al