Re: Harmless KDE feature upgrades - yeah right

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 16:19 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:

> > yup, this is very likely. One reason Mandriva's backports repository
> > was initiated was because, when MDV allowed only conservative
> > updates and had no official facility for adventurous updates, a
> > forest of third-party repos offering new versions of things sprung
> > up. Obviously this led to confusion for people doing user support
> > ('wait, exactly *whose* KDE 4.3 packages were you running again?')
> > and all> sorts of fun with incompatibilities between the third party
> > repos.
>
> Just playing devil's advocate here - what's the virtue of trying to
> avoid separate repos? It seems like there's a false dichotomy (trichotomy?)
> going on here, where our choices are:
>
> 1) this is in the main Fedora(tm) repo
> 2) we have a special repo for updates vs upgrades, each against stable
> 3) A free for all of third party repos hosted at various different
>    places with huge conflicts and no coöperation whatsoever. Repos
>    everywhere, dogs and cats living together, Cain has been marked
>    and kicked out of the garden, total chaos.
>
> As a little gedankenexperiment, let's explore for a second a 4th option:
> Fedora-blessed/hosted/sponsored/whatever repos for things that we don't
> feel should be mandated on users, but which some users may want and some
> maintainers want to be able to provide. A little bit of all three -
> including a built-in need to be minimalist in construction, so as to
> avoid conflict nightmares, but at the same time freedom to say "here's
> a new major version of this, since we _know_ that's what you're looking
> for if you've got this repo enabled".
>
> Obviously this would require some tools work, but isn't it worth
> considering?

What does option 4 provide over option 2?

In fact, how is it even functionally different? 'Fedora' repositories
are effectively nothing more than 'blessed' repositories anyway, given
the considerable powers granted to maintainers.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey