Re: FESCo wants a more sane updates policy (feedback requested)

2010/3/1 Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 28 February 2010 18:39, James Antill <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  I can't think of any reason why you'd need, or want, to have
>> updates-testing checks block any other GUI operation.
>
> To show the list of newest updates to the user...
>
>>> If we could speed up the dep checking and downloading, I agree it
>>> would be better for usability, and the exposure of updates-testing
>>> generally.
>>
>>  Dep. checking is pretty fast, upT¹ is roughly 10 seconds for 300
>> packages here and lsuT is like 2.5 seconds. I guess maybe that's worth
>> caring about if you block everything else behind it, but...
>
> Sure, and 2.5 seconds _extra_ is a long time.
>
>>  As to the downloads, if you know of a way to speed up a users internet
>> connection ... feel free to spread your wisdom.
>
> Here's three:
>
> * Download from multiple mirrors simultaneously
> * Do the transaction in parallel so that you're downloading the next
> depsolved set of updates as you're installing the first
> * Have better control of the cache format so you don't need to keep
> three files in sync just to update the primary and then depsolve.
>
> Richard.
> --

that practically just doesent work (updates-testing) since
updates-testing packages do not get built against updates-testing
packages and therefor if you have 2 soname bumps it falls over and you
end up resolving deps manually by try and error with the packagekit
frontend.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl