Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

Also, there's this weird "running daemons are bad" mentality which I'm
not really sure what the right way to approach is.  But it's one that
I'm not sure how true it is in our current world of increasingly moving
functionality out of the kernel and into userspace in which case you
have to have something running in addition to the kernel.

Maybe to try some examples -- irqbalance is a daemon and not in the
kernel anymore[1], does that make it "not useful"?  Or for another side,
various kernel threads are really just daemons... maybe we shouldn't run
them either?

if you replace useful with necessary in his argument I think it ends up making more sense.

If the daemon is not NECESSARY for the task it is fulfilling then why have it running?

And I think you do understand quite well the rule that any thing that is not necessary to the functioning of a server should be off.

-sv