Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:

How is NM-dispatcher a developer service? Similarly, nm-tool is
at least quicker than 'ip addr ls ; ip route ls ; cat /etc/resolv.conf'.

and ifconfig -a works on multiple platforms, so it's the one that will win.

As for resources... just to point out that NM (at least on my laptop)
uses 2.5MB resident... pretty much exactly the same amount as the 5
unused mingetty processes that many 'server' admins screamed needed to be
kept always.

nm, dbus in particular:
dbus: 3M
NM: 17M here

that's 20M vs 9M total for all the gettys running here.

And I don't have to run the gettys, I'd have to run NM.

Look, for the desktop in particular NM makes a lot of sense, I am not arguing otherwise.

For the server it is a solution looking for a problem.

The reaction you're seeing is people who don't care about the desktop trying to figure out why desktop and/or developer oriented features are causing them to have to change their server deployment/config habits.

You can't tell me you're surprised by the pushback, Bill.

-sv