Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Les Mikesell (lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx) said:
It's already a bit of a black art to know what things to tweak to turn
Fedora into a server-style configuration without breaking things. And
it's growing -- in this thread I've learned about how to get the
text-mode plymouth plugin. I'm sure there's lots more.
Don't worry, we made that knowledge obsolete.
That's the real problem...

The problem is that we listened to the complaint about solar being
installed by default, and fixed the bug before we released?

The problem is making any esoteric knowledge required and then making it obsolete. If you start without any unix experience it may all look the same, but for someone who runs large existing server farms (and remember that is where the bulk of linux systems are) any change in administration procedures or interaction with other systems (monitoring, snmp management, etc.) is a big cost. If learning the new approach provides some improvement and can be expected to be useful for a long time is may be worth it, but in general things that can't provide complete backwards emulation are not improvements at all.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx