Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Colin Walters wrote:

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It uses ANY memory. That's more than is reasonable considering that the
former solution (ifconfig) uses none.

NM and ifconfig are not comparable.  Now I think saying that NM
shouldn't use very much in the way of resources in the static routing
case is a reasonable request; certainly with the push for
virtualization and running lots of OS instances it makes sense.  But
it's just not reasonable to say "ANY" memory; that's not a reasonable
constraint to operate under.  We're trying to build an operating
system; that necessitates adding APIs and features, for example
network status change notification which is useful everywhere.

It's perfectly fine though if someone's "create mediawiki appliance
image" tool strips out stuff; but we should be moving the core OS to
be more unified and featureful in general.

Featureful is exciting for desktops and for a smaller subset of servers with special needs. For the vast majority of fairly boring servers it is not exciting, it's just time consuming.

I've got no problem saying that people who use servers should have a custom ks that strips out all the stuff they don't need. In fact, I believe I've ALWAYS said that. I just don't want us to take steps that make setting up that custom ks outrageously difficult. If we end up tying the dependencies on these daemons very very low into the distro then we end up making a lot of fairly boring server admins' lives difficult for no good reason. All I'm saying is that the features that make NM useful should not preclude someone from yum removing it w/o losing their whole os.

Oh and my general opinion is that the features we should be working on more than anything else are simplicity, security and stability.

-sv