Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 21:05 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
This thread is about a *server* SIG, isn't it?  Most servers do not need
disk encryption as they are located in physically secured rooms.  They
must be able to reboot without manual interaction too.

Hence, when password prompts are the only reason for plymouth, then
plymouth should be optional; especially when it has heavy dependencies
like pango.

Don't be so sure about that.  In a colo environment I /would/ want some
encryption on the disk, and if I have to use a remote kvm to input the
passphrase at reboot time, that's OK.

It might be good to have as an option for the database holding the personal or credit card info but I don't think you'd really like that on a large server farm.

Reboots are either planned
events, or emergencies, both of which are going to require the attention
of the people who have the passphrase.

A normal reboot is needed at least as often as you push new kernels (we are still talking about fedora, aren't we?) - not something that should require a cross country trip. And there's always the rare case where your UPS or power transfer switch fails and all of a sudden you have to bring back hundreds of machines as fast as you can.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx