Re: Proposal: changes to "default application functionality" release criteria

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 7:29 AM Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 1:23 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Wading into this discussion pretty late... there's far too much "GNOME does this" or "GNOME wants that" in this discussion.
>
> That is really not how it works, neither for GNOME nor for Fedora - its down to small teams and individual maintainers to
> make changes and decisions. For improving the QA situation between upstream GNOME and downstream Fedora, a good
> team to talk to is the GNOME release team of which both Michael and I happen to be members.
>

>> > Testing that is much more useful to upstream than testing Rawhide,
>> > because we certainly aren't updating all the bits of GNOME in Rawhide
>> > nightly. But if it's not built on Fedora (I don't think it is), it may
>> > well have differences in theme and font configuration that might make
>> > Fedora's openQA needles not match, which is the problem I'm concerned
>> > about with sharing the tests.
>>
>> Could we (GNOME and Fedora in collaboration) set up something where they
>> _are_ updating everything on top of Rawhide nightly? If not instead of GNOME
>> OS, at least alongside it?
>>

> This would be a useful discussion to have, Having it in a bof at guadec sounds great.

One of the things we're working on in the KDE SIG is eventually
auto-building all our KDE software in a COPR on a regular schedule,
with the goal of eventually producing something that we could wire up
to run through OpenQA tests using that COPR repo for precisely this
purpose. I think it would absolutely make sense if the folks
maintaining GNOME did the same thing, since they're both release
blocking desktops.