Re: [INPUT REQUESTED] fedora-chromium-config and Fedora Workstation

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 1:05 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 4 2022 at 12:38:55 PM -0400, Neal Gompa
> <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Why?
>
> It was added to get usage statistics from some Wikimedia site that shut
> down 5+ years ago, so we haven't used it in a real long time. There's
> some value to website operators who find it interesting, I suppose, but
> that doesn't outweigh the disadvantages:
>
> For Chrome, it has to go because of the version 100 Cloudflare trouble.
>
> For WebKit, it's nice to remove it because of persistent troubles with
> specific websites that require debranding quirks.
>
> For Firefox, I don't know any specific problems, but I wouldn't be
> surprised if it encounters version 100 trouble too.
>
> For all of the above, it's another data point for fingerprinting users.
> Admittedly it is not a very big one, but it's better to not have it
> than to have it.

I disagree. I *deliberately* want Fedora showing up and growing in
this manner. If Chrome OS can advertise itself uniquely so it's broken
out and people take note enough to test for it, I think it's equally
worth it for Fedora to show up. I know it has positively influenced
things in Fedora users' favor before in less than obvious ways, so I'd
prefer to keep it.

In any case, Alberto Ruiz reached out to Cloudflare via Twitter, and
it is now being looked into on their part.