Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 09:34:14AM +0200, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> it depends on how you look at it. You are looking at it from the point
> of having the largest fail safety, then yes. However, as I see this, it
> is mostly about preventing battery drain. i.e. enable users to suspend
> their machines for a day or two and continue working on battery
> afterwards.

I know Matthias and others are very passionate about making an opinionated
choice and not offering a user option for this, but to me this really seems
like one of the things where there are several very reasonable workflows
that different people in our target audience will want. I just can't see a
way of getting this right for everyone with a one-size-fits-all approach.

To me personally, the case you give is basically irrelevant to my daily
life. I would be very frustrated by the costs it puts on me. Conversely, I
can see someone who *does* want to work the way you describe be frustrated
by what works for me.

I don't think we want a sea of options, but there are some cases like this
where offering smart choices seems like the best thing to do for users.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>