Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM Justin Forbes <jmforbes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The thing is, hibernate does work for some users. And eventually will
>> be made to work with secure boot as well. But it is very difficult for
>> us to "support" a feature when the fixes are often blacklist x driver
>> or edit your DSDT table.  There is a large variety of hardware and
>> some of it just doesn't work.
>>

> Well, everything worked for somebody at some point. But the answer can't
> be to just add another toggle to the control-center so people can
> experimentally
> find out if it works for them at this time, choose-your-own-adventure style.
>
> Either we commit to supporting it. Then we need to invest the time to make
> it actually work. At the minimum, we need to be able to detect reliably when
> it will not work, so we can turn it off.
>
> Or we don't. In which case we should just remove it.
Right, the kernel should stop advertising "disk" in /sys/power/state unless it
can reliably hibernate.  If users want to opt-in to some hibernate tech-preview,
they should have to add something to the kernel command line or so, imo.

The kernel shouldn't be exposing features it can't reliably provide.
Again, as I understand it, it's not even a hardware-supported situation, it can
potentially fail on *any system* if the swap partition is filled up
the wrong way,
if i'm not mistaken.

until, at least that is fixed, we really should stop exposing the
feature without
some sort of kernel command line opt-in situation.

--Ray