Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

On Thu, 2018-09-13 at 16:16 +0200, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2018-09-13 at 10:06 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > This needs to be disabled in systemd, as I mentioned in the previous
> > thread.
> > This means it would still work in GNOME if somebody enables the feature
> > in systemd, as would be expected.
>
> Yeah, I agree that disabling it in systemd by default is likely the
> best way forward for F29. If we can get enough testing, then it may be
> possible to enable hibernation again for F30.
>
> gsd-power has no configuration option to change the behaviour. It will
> simply use SuspendThenHibernate rather than Suspend when the method is
> available.

Continuing the slight tangent from earlier - why was this preferred to
hybrid-sleep, given that systemd apparently implements hybrid-sleep?
Off the top of my head I can think of only one tiny benefit of suspend-
then-hibernate over hybrid-sleep: after 3 hours it doesn't drain the
battery at all any more. Is that really a big enough benefit to
outweigh the drawback of *always* requiring the slower, much-more-
likely-to-fail 'resume-from-hibernation' behaviour after 3 hours or
more?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey