Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

On Thu, 2018-09-13 at 16:25 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13-09-18 16:16, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 2018-09-13 at 10:06 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > This needs to be disabled in systemd, as I mentioned in the
> > > previous
> > > thread.
> > > This means it would still work in GNOME if somebody enables the
> > > feature
> > > in systemd, as would be expected.
> >
> > Yeah, I agree that disabling it in systemd by default is likely the
> > best way forward for F29. If we can get enough testing, then it may
> > be
> > possible to enable hibernation again for F30.
> >
> > gsd-power has no configuration option to change the behaviour. It
> > will
> > simply use SuspendThenHibernate rather than Suspend when the method
> > is
> > available.
>
> My reaction to Bastien and yours crossed, right gsd-power has no
> configuration option now. What I'm suggesting is, that since some people
> want this to be opt-in, we add such a configuration option.
>
> This really is a policy decision and as such belongs in GNOME IMHO
> systemd simply provides a mechanism for this and the availability
> call it has is to indicate if the hardware can support this at all
> (with no guarantees about this working).

I do see how this is a policy decision in a way. However, the main
reason for me to *not* enable suspend-then-hibernate is that we
consider hibernation to be unstable/unsupported in the first place. And
if we consider hibernate non-functional, then it could be sane to
disable hibernation in the first place.

That said, we are hitting this issue only because the feature was added
to systemd and gnome-settings-daemon and also enabled by default.
Adding an option to gnome-settings-daemon, would be a functional
workaround and would also allow users to easily enable it for testing
purposes.

So, Hans' suggestion to add a gsd-power option may actually be the best
solution. I think that being able make it easily configurable by users
is the main advantage of this approach.

> Either way we need to do something about this for F29.

Agreed.

Benjamin