Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

Hi,

it depends on how you look at it. You are looking at it from the point
of having the largest fail safety, then yes. However, as I see this, it
is mostly about preventing battery drain. i.e. enable users to suspend
their machines for a day or two and continue working on battery
afterwards.

With this criteria, you get:
 1. simple 'suspend':
    - High battery drain
    - Fails on power loss
    + Fast suspend
    + Fast resume

 2. suspend-then-hibernate:
    + Low battery drain
    + No failure on power loss
    + Fast suspend
    + Fast resume

 3. hybrid-suspend:
    - High battery drain
    + No failure on power loss
    - Slow suspend
    + Fast resume

And with this criteria suspend-then-hibernate clearly wins.

You potentially get some more complications with s2i (suspend to idle)
in the future. One could for example leave the WiFi and TCP/IP
connections established for a period of time during suspend (but still
freeze userspace otherwise).

Benjamin