Re: Adding container-management (podman, docker, origin-clients) to workstation by default

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018, at 2:45 PM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm thinking most developers probably have no interest in the
> containerization tools....

Heh.  You are definitely living in a separate universe from me!

Now there are a lot of cases of "developer".  Picking a representative
useful example of say a Scala developer using Eclipse; the
"dev container" pattern would probably be hard to adopt vs
installing the JVM etc. just on the host.  However AFAICS there's
lot of tooling to interact with OpenShift/Kube from Eclipse.  For
example: https://www.eclipse.org/che/docs/6/che/docs/openshift-single-user.html
So our including `oc cluster up` helps get OpenShift up locally.
It's obviously not hard to install after the fact, but then neither
is a lot of other things included in Workstation.  The discoverability of non-GUI
apps particularly outside of gnome-software is an issue;

Let's go to the opposite end of the spectrum and take a
NetworkManager developer.  IMO the "dev container" pattern
works very well for this.  I talked about this here:
https://fedorapeople.org/~walters/2018.01-devconf-desktopcontainers/#/7
(See the start for more info, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4IPWlfkJSo for
 the recording)

Another argument here is: It doesn't make sense to include gnome-boxes (virt)
by default but not containers.  (Personally I tend to use vagrant-libvirt a lot for
virt cases with which I have a grudgingly-accept/dislike relationship but that's
an aside)