Re: flatpak issues in F26 alpha

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 16:45 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Maybe a wifi connection login dialog needs a checkbox to indicate
>> whether it's a metered connection. Because however it's supposed to
>> work, isn't reliable in the real world.
>
> Yeah, this is basically my conclusion. I strongly doubt it'll ever be
> possible to achieve an acceptable level of magic detection here. Even
> connections that aren't *tethered* could certainly have data transfer
> caps for one reason or another. Just assuming you can go ahead and
> download as many GB of updates as you like without any kind of prior
> warning or even notification while the download is ongoing is a really
> bad idea.

Yeah I don't have a great solution for this other than literally
bugging the user and asking at each initial connection. Maybe it's
plausible to not do this for wired connections? I'll get crotchety if
I plug in a wired connection but don't get a network and internet
connection straight away. But then I also get crotchety when, upon a
clean installation, Fedora sucks down a gig worth of updates in the
first 5-10 minutes (Windows and macOS do not do this, they ask). But
at a certain point down the road, I do want such updates and to not be
bothered.

So the only thing I can think of is actively notifying the user of the
current behavior and inviting them to change it, rather than it just
being passive and murky. So maybe something in g-i-s for the initial
inform and consent? And then a checkbox in wireless connect dialogs?

--
Chris Murphy