Fedora Workstation and why the presentation of third-party packages in Software matters

I realized it might help if I step back to the big picture here.

Fedora as a project is an integrator; we don't write a lot of new code
specifically for the distro — at least not for Fedora alone. One of our
marketing points is that Fedora is more than the sum of its parts¹. We
tell users that the integration work we do is one of the key reasons to
pick Fedora over another distribution.

In  many ways, GNOME Software is the face of that promise in Fedora
Workstation. It's where you can see all of the software we make
available. This is one of the reasons I strongly support the initiative
to only show applications which meet high standards for things like
icons and screenshots — those details are part of the polish.

I think it's okay to also present third-party software, but it needs to
be clear to users how that software fits into the promise. It's not
just where they are downloading it from, but what it means to download
software from somewhere else. If it's included in Software, does it
mean that we are making the same promises about integration quality?
Does it mean the software will follow (at least) Fedora's support
lifecycle? Does it mean that I can ask Fedora for help?

There's a lot of different ways to answer these questions, and while I
have some opinions, there's a wide range of answers the WG could come
up with which I'd be perfectly happy with. We just need to make sure
that the answer for any given third party repository or software is
communicated as part of the user experience.

[1] https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2015/04/20/fedora-workstation-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts/
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal

--
Matthew Miller