Re: Distro policy regarding GNOME shell extensions

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 05:00:16PM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Given that the only way to install the thing is to go to the Details
> view, it doesn't seem necessary to plaster "3rd party, danger!" onto
> every tile in that view.

It doesn't need to say "3rd party, danger", but it does need to
communicate "3rd party: please be aware".

> Also, you get a pretty prominent dialog asking you to confirm that you
> want to install software from a 3rd party source, if you go ahead and
> click install. Sadly, system modals don't show up on screenshots it
> seems, so you'll have to try yourself to see it.

That does help, and I don't remember if that was part of the design
discussion. I don't think it's sufficient just list where the
*download* comes from, though, because I can download official Fedora
content from, many places (mit.edu, kernel.org, etc.), and it's not
clear that I'm downloading non-Fedora code just because it's
downloading from extensions.gnome.org. I think there's room for
incremental improvements to make this better.

I'm *really* not trying to be difficult. I just want to make sure that
users are aware of the choice they're making and know where to get help
when they have problems.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>