Re: Distro policy regarding GNOME shell extensions

On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 18:07 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 05:00:16PM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Given that the only way to install the thing is to go to the
> > Details
> > view, it doesn't seem necessary to plaster "3rd party, danger!"
> > onto
> > every tile in that view.
>
> It doesn't need to say "3rd party, danger", but it does need to
> communicate "3rd party: please be aware".
>
> > Also, you get a pretty prominent dialog asking you to confirm that
> > you
> > want to install software from a 3rd party source, if you go ahead
> > and
> > click install. Sadly, system modals don't show up on screenshots it
> > seems, so you'll have to try yourself to see it.
>
> That does help, and I don't remember if that was part of the design
> discussion. I don't think it's sufficient just list where the
> *download* comes from, though, because I can download official Fedora
> content from, many places (mit.edu, kernel.org, etc.), and it's not
> clear that I'm downloading non-Fedora code just because it's
> downloading from extensions.gnome.org. I think there's room for
> incremental improvements to make this better.

This feels like moving the goalposts, tbh. Downloading random rpms off
the internet is not part of the UX supported by gnome software.

And I'm  fairly confident that if you ask the mythical 'novice' user
what it means that it is downloading from extensions.gnome.org, they
will say that it means 'its not from fedora'.