Re: Distro policy regarding GNOME shell extensions

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 08:43:00AM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> This feels like moving the goalposts, tbh. Downloading random rpms off
> the internet is not part of the UX supported by gnome software.

But neither was downloading shell extensions. From a user point of
view, I don't see anything that makes it clear that these _aren't_
random RPMs off of the internet. There's nothing that shows what they
actually are or how they'll be installed.

I *like* the functionality of adding and removing Extensions in
Software. That's cool and seems like the logical place for it. I just
want users have a good understanding of a) support expectations and b)
quality expectations — where to go for help, and what rules the
third-party repository plays by. I know I said this to Allan from the
very beginning in the design discussions we had, so I don't think that
that's moving any goalposts.

> And I'm  fairly confident that if you ask the mythical 'novice' user
> what it means that it is downloading from extensions.gnome.org, they
> will say that it means 'its not from fedora'.

I'd be happy to support some UX studies.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>