Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

Chris Murphy píše v Po 07. 11. 2016 v 13:30 -0800:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Liam <liam.bulkley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Nov 5, 2016, 3:33 AM Alexander Bisogianis <alexixor@gmail.c
> > om>
> > wrote:
> > > An operating system has to decide if it is made to be a desktop,
> > > server, a mobile device OS etc.
> >

> > This is an excellent point. I happened to be reading something from
> > the
> > architect of coreaudio and he related, basically, the point you
> > just did. To
> > paraphrase: if you want glitch-free audio [they did, because they
> > wanted to
> > keep the media creators by designing the best audio stack] you have
> > design the entire os within that in mind. This happened with osx,
> > and led to
> > some interesting design decisions, but the point was that they knew
> > what
> > they wanted to achieve.
>
> By extension, I think a while ago but certainly in 2016, Fedora needs
> more emphasis on laptop support and workflow than is currently the
> case; the switchable graphics support feature for Fedora 25/26 is a
> good example of pushing things forward. But there remains no release
> criteria on anything power management related like suspend or
> hibernate  - no meaningful alternative to hibernation like DE
> stateful
> saving and restore - and no line in the sand on what kinds of
> regressions aren't OK.
>
> A considerable reason why any developer with a laptop would pick
> Windows or macOS these days is because power management is so much
> better, that it's even considered basic. There is no such thing as a
> suspend regression bug on macOS  - I've never even heard of such a
> thing let alone encountered it. Hibernation is a bit trickier, I have
> experienced some bugs there to the degree I think it's best avoided.
> And for the most part Apple saves application state on logout now,
> with most of the apps I care about opting into to having their state
> saved as well including all unsaved documents.

One anecdote:
I upgraded my sister's Macbook to Sierra and guess what happened...
suspend stopped working :) Moreover there was one process using 80% of
CPU all the time which made the system unusable. Based on the fact that
I found dozens of pages about the problem I suspect it's a common bug.
It was easily solvable for me, but nothing my sister herself could cope
with.
So the Mac world is not all ideal, it has bugs, quite a few bugs. For
example, upgrade of my work laptop to Fedora 25 was, in fact, much less
disruptive than the upgrade to Sierra.

Battery life really depends on model. When I got a brand-new ThinkPad
X240 it lasted 10-12 hours of normal usage on battery, up to 16 hours
in the airplane mode. I don't find that too bad.
Of course, if you buy a laptop which was built for and only for another
OS (e.g. Macbook), it's hard to achieve the same level of power
management with a different OS.

Jiri