Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On 07/11/16 21:19, Liam wrote:
The issue
is that except for a bit of a package delta a with server, Workstation
hasn't really taken advantage of the freedom we've been given.

First of all, I feel a bit bad judging about other people's work.
Please do not receive the below as anything else but honest criticism.

Let me get out of the way this:

My opinion is that out of all the OSS/Libre operating systems out there, the only one specifically created for *desktop* computing is Haiku.

Below are a couple of examples, which tie in to the discussion about "bootloaders" in this thread:

- The boot experience is perfect. No switching to console, no twitching no nothing. You see some icons light up, which double as progress bar and information on the boot process (for those that care).

- Is your system is unbootable for *any* reason? No worries. Boot form USB/CD, hold *Space" and you are presented with all Haiku *boot* (i.e. root) volumes. Choose one and boot. End of troubleshooting. You can also boot form USB/CD and access your files, of course. You also get a nice list of failsafe graphics modes, if you have graphics issues.

The above work-flow, while probably possible to implement, is no where near to what is really provided by any distro out there.

Please understand that my intention is not to judge negatively the hard work of others, but to help make fedora a better OS.

As per Liam's post, Haiku has the notion of "kits", exactly like MacOSX, because BeOS had them and MacOSX was inspired by it, in more than one way...

Haiku also has "drag 'n drop" installation. Yo udownlaod an HPKG, drop it in a folder called "packaged" and you are done.

Finally, the Haiku core devs own every single application that is installed by default, including the web browser. This is the only real way to have a clear distinction between "OS" and "Third Party Applications". They provide an "App store", but when a user updates the *OS*, they only update the *OS*, nothing else.

Haiku has a million flaws and deficiencies, but one clear goal, even if futile.

Fedora has to have the same type of dedication to desktop/laptop use, in order to achieve it's goal, which is to atteact developers and users from Windows and macOS.

Again, I apologize if I have insulted anyone, my intention is not to insult of belittle, but to inform and help.

Thanks for a great OS and sorry for the spam.

I will cool down now :)