Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Hardware compatibility just works. (Wifi, sound, HDMI, graphics,
>   suspend, etc.)

Also in the HN thread that came up more than once, and comes up on
users@ and forums often, is power management. This might be a bigger
problem on some hardware than others. My Macs are always hot and run
fans even when idle - I suspect the GPU runs in a non-idle state by
default - and also results in awful battery life.

Meanwhile the HP Spectre so far I'm getting at least 5 hours active
work, and if Firefox or Chrome aren't running, I can get 9 hours -
without powertop, and looks like a couple hours more with it but it's
still early testing. However, with kernel 4.8.x, suspend to ram isn't
working, where it does with 4.7.x, so that'd be a regression, and
rather a bitter pill of one too, even if it's narrow in scope.

--
Chris Murphy