Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 4:45 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you're kind of overselling this because you happened to run
>>> into a suspend regression this cycle. I've been suspending two laptops
>>> and a desktop (with two displays) for the last, like, six years without
>>> significant issues. When I ran into an issue with Rawhide it got fixed
>>> pretty fast. It's really not that awful.
>>
>> In the 4.7 cycle a bunch of Fedora 24 folks got hit with a hibernation
>> regression. I don't know which part you think I'm selling let alone
>> over selling. This isn't limited to suspend or hibernation bugs, but
>> all sorts of other optimizations to get better battery life. I'm in
>> fact not experiencing a battery life problem on this new HP, but on
>> the Mac I do, and I know plenty of people who have crummy battery life
>> running Fedora compared to Windows. So this isn't just about a
>
> It would be interesting to know what hardware they have and workloads
> they are using that are similar between Linux and Windows.  The Fedora
> kernel team did some battery life investigations between the two on
> identical hardware and found the differences to be negligible.  The
> biggest finding is that streaming video (hangouts, skype, etc) was
> terrible on battery life universally.

I'd expect the biggest difference to come from use cases with high
idle state. If the CPU or GPU aren't in lower idle states, it'll eat
up battery a lot faster.

And that's what I see on the Mac, maybe 2.5 hours Fedora and 4.5 hours
macOS. Terminal, texteditor, web browser looking at static pages with
minimal content, using the same ad blockers in the same build version
of FireFox. My suspicion, since top on both OS's shows about the same
idleness, is the discrete GPU isn't being turned off when it could be
on Fedora, where it is automatically on macOS.

Over on the HP, it's the same workloads as the Mac, and I get pretty
much the same useful life whether Windows or Fedora - but the sample
size for Windows is pretty small due largely to the fact it was blown
away in the first week.

>> found early on. When they're looking for particular regressions, they
>> are found early on. Not rocket science. This responsibility also lies
>> with hardware manufacturers, but how can the testing and reporting be
>> made easier, as in, more automated?
>
> Reporting is not the problem.  We get tons of reports.  It's
> recreating the problem, on the workload the user has, on the same
> hardware.  It's about access and data, not reporting.

I don't understand this. Are you saying that the bug report lacks
basic system information attachments? It lacks specific problem data
collection attachments? Or that there are problems for which the user
can't help upstream, upstream must have physical access to the
hardware?

Every hardware related bug report I've looked at on kernel.org,
developers routinely ask users for rather obscure information from the
system. The system has this information, but there's nothing that
helps automate its collection and attachment to the bug report. The
user then has to manually collect what's asked for, and then manually
attach it to the bug report. I see a significant minority of bug
reports where a developer asks for more information and there's never
a response again from the user.

This isn't possible with Apple's bug reporter. System information
reports are required attachments, and it contains a lot of information
including power management states, the power management log, system
log, and so on.

--
Chris Murphy