Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 10:14:57AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> In which case the problem is that we don't consult with designers, or work on
> that branding work upstream. Case in point, our changes to the Details panel
> in Settings aren't upstream, nobody tested the performance impact of the logo
> watermark in gnome-shell.

I'm consuluting with designers.

I do agree that we should test the impact of any changes, for
performance (if any affect), but also for overall UX and
identifiablity.

> It also seems bizarre to me that we would push that branding on Fedora
> Workstation, but not in other variants with a Fedora branded motd before login
> on the server variant for example.

Have you looked, here? Of course Fedora Server identifies itself at the
login prompt. And the Cockpit GUI uses the Fedora Server logo. I think
there's room for improvements in this too, but the basics are there.

> Do we *actually* have a problem with Fedora being identified as such?
> In which sort of deployment do we have that problem?

It is important to increase Fedora brand reach and recognition. A
strong visual identity is an important part of this. If you want to
phrase it in terms of a "problem", every place where there is a Fedora
deployment and it is not easily recognized as Fedora, we have that
problem.

> We already have branding in GRUB, in plymouth, in gdm, in the default wallpaper,
> in the Details panel. I'd rather we sent our stickers for laptop covers, and
> Windows keys, and toned down the branding on other parts of the OS, as well as
> investigated other possible branding (changing the default hostname, and .local
> name seem like no-brainer with no performance impact, and greater reach).

Although it's not nothing, branding which is only shown briefly at boot
and when not logged in does not contribute strongly to the visual
identity. Branding in the "details" panel, though, is arguably
*worse* than nothing, as it sends the signal that Fedora is merely
that, a "detail". And I think we already agreed that nobody likes the
wallpaper overlay.

I'm all for investigating possibilities, especially ones which have no
performance impact and reach. We should do everything we can, and we
certainly *do* provides stickers and other Fedora swag. We need to work
on the contrbutions of the desktop visual appearance to our brand
identity as well.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>