Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 08:32:05AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Maybe something more traditional like the macOS desktop
> > environment that had similar concepts but built with GNOME technology and
> > Wayland.
> So, er...GNOME? ;)

I for one am glad that after the initial period of rapid development
after the 3.0 release, GNOME has settled into a relatively stable,
comfortable, and usable design. I don't think we'd gain anything from
starting all that again. If people are interested in experimenting with
something like that as a Spin, cool, that's what we've got Spins for —
but I'm not sure it's the best use of resources for Workstation.

I *would* like to see a little bit of distinguishing flair giving some
separation between Fedora Workstation and stock upstream GNOME. I love
the clean minimalism of the existing design and I don't want to stray
from the productive partnership we have with upstream — or from the
general perception of Fedora as the premier distro for GNOME. But, I
would like people to easily recognize when Fedora is in use.

The desktop watermark with the default wallpaper is was a quick
last-minute hack, but I think we can do better.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>