Re: Fedora Branding - Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On 11/08/2016 02:46 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016, 9:43 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/08/2016 12:34 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>     > On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 12:22:31PM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>     >> At https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/DownstreamBranding you'll find
>     >> the start of lists for downstream branding possibilities. If you know
>     >> of other branding used in distributions, or new ideas, please feel
>     >> free to add those (or mail me privately if you don't have a GNOME
>     >> Wiki account).
>     >
>     > Thanks Bastien. This seems constructive. Would you consider changing
>     > "does not impact on the visual identity" to something like "provide a
>     > distinct visual identity which works in harmony with the GNOME visual
>     > identity and user experience"?
>     >

>     As an aside, can we try to get "default hostname" off the list? I've actually
>     been trying to push for eliminating the default hostname in favor of a
>     randomly-generated valid name so that we can play better with FreeIPA and AD
>     environments. (Clients of those systems must always have unique names; conflicts
>     cause hard-to-debug issues).
>
>     One such reference: https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/pull/164 (the
>     implementation is mostly abandoned at this point, but the purpose is unchanged)
>
>     Or, if it is determined that this is important to do, can we try for something
>     like "fedora-UUID" as a default hostname, so it's at least unique?
>

> Or a UUID fragment? It just 6 characters from /dev/urandom? A full UUID is
> unwieldily long.

True, but in order to address the problem above, it needs to be at least long
enough that it's unlikely to recur within an organization, at least. I doubt six
characters is enough entropy for that. Windows uses WIN-XXXXXXXXXXX (11 random
case-insensitive characters) so that with that an the first four characters it
stays under the 16-char limit for the main hostname component.

In order for our systems to work out of the box as clients of Active Directory,
we also need to keep to that same limit. We also want to maximize the randomness
to ensure that we are unlikely to hit collisions.

The obvious answer could be to use FED-XXXXXXXXXXX which would be the same as
Windows. Or we could opt to sacrifice three characters worth of entropy in
exchange for using the whole word: FEDORA-XXXXXXXX. In the first case, we would
have a 1 in 1.3x10^17 chance of colliding (assuming perfect random number
generation). In the second case, it would be 1 in ~2.2x10^12.

Given the size of those numbers, I think FEDORA-XXXXXXXX is probably entirely
reasonable.