Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-11-07 at 13:30 -0800, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> A considerable reason why any developer with a laptop would pick
>> Windows or macOS these days is because power management is so much
>> better, that it's even considered basic. There is no such thing as a
>> suspend regression bug on macOS  - I've never even heard of such a
>> thing let alone encountered it.
>
> I think you're kind of overselling this because you happened to run
> into a suspend regression this cycle. I've been suspending two laptops
> and a desktop (with two displays) for the last, like, six years without
> significant issues. When I ran into an issue with Rawhide it got fixed
> pretty fast. It's really not that awful.

In the 4.7 cycle a bunch of Fedora 24 folks got hit with a hibernation
regression. I don't know which part you think I'm selling let alone
over selling. This isn't limited to suspend or hibernation bugs, but
all sorts of other optimizations to get better battery life. I'm in
fact not experiencing a battery life problem on this new HP, but on
the Mac I do, and I know plenty of people who have crummy battery life
running Fedora compared to Windows. So this isn't just about a
singular regression  - which Intel folks have picked up on the
upstream bug I filed and we're doing a back and forth so hopefully
it'll get sorted soon.

> Of course Apple has fewer hardware-related bugs to deal with. We all
> know the reasons for that.

The singular reason from which all other stem is that power management
on laptops is a priority to them.

>Even if we blocked on suspend,
> realistically, it wouldn't magically prevent hardware-dependent issues
> with suspend. We still wouldn't magically be testing on all hardware,
> or be any more predisposed to block on a suspend issue on a specific
> device even if we happened to find it. Your system-specific regression
> would not be a blocker even if we added suspend in general to the
> release criteria and committed to the development resources necessary
> to fix major issues in it.

This isn't just about Fedora bringing some things to the table to make
power management better; it's a question whether and how to get
upstream more interested in it, and my reasoning for suggesting they
aren't is when my particular regression came up I was surprised to
learn from the Fedora kernel team that laptops don't get much upstream
testing. If they aren't looking for such regressions, they will not be
found early on. When they're looking for particular regressions, they
are found early on. Not rocket science. This responsibility also lies
with hardware manufacturers, but how can the testing and reporting be
made easier, as in, more automated?

--
Chris Murphy