Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Mon, 2016-11-07 at 13:30 -0800, Chris Murphy wrote:
> A considerable reason why any developer with a laptop would pick
> Windows or macOS these days is because power management is so much
> better, that it's even considered basic. There is no such thing as a
> suspend regression bug on macOS  - I've never even heard of such a
> thing let alone encountered it.

I think you're kind of overselling this because you happened to run
into a suspend regression this cycle. I've been suspending two laptops
and a desktop (with two displays) for the last, like, six years without
significant issues. When I ran into an issue with Rawhide it got fixed
pretty fast. It's really not that awful.

Of course Apple has fewer hardware-related bugs to deal with. We all
know the reasons for that. Even if we blocked on suspend,
realistically, it wouldn't magically prevent hardware-dependent issues
with suspend. We still wouldn't magically be testing on all hardware,
or be any more predisposed to block on a suspend issue on a specific
device even if we happened to find it. Your system-specific regression
would not be a blocker even if we added suspend in general to the
release criteria and committed to the development resources necessary
to fix major issues in it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey