Re: Procedure for dealing with 3rd party applications

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Mathieu Bridon <bochecha@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 14:03 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
>> Yeah, I been pondering the issue of tracking here too, on the other
>> hand as I said in another email my thinking is that there are so
>> few vendors we would realistically deal with anyway that we could
>> probably handle that through just informal coordination. So if a
>> working group member wants to reach out to someone
>
> What about non WG members?
>
> Linux users tend to be very enthusiastic, so I wouldn't be surprised if
> one of us one day contacts their favourite vendor to ask them for
> inclusion in Fedora.
>
> Someone from the WG might already have contacted this vendor in
> private, and they had declined.
>
> And given that their are very few vendors, I could imagine lots of us
> contacting the same vendor over and over again, simply because nobody
> knows the WG had already contacted them.
>
> You can't assume that only WG members will try to contact vendor about
> inclusion in their favourite OS.

This happens today already.  The proposal as it is doesn't change that.

The best one can do is keep a list of already contacted vendors and
hope someone actually reads it.  Anecdotal evidence suggests that it
will be read for a short period of time, assumed to be stale after
that, and the problem will persist.

I would strongly encourage everyone to not over-engineer a process to
cover all possible cases here.  It's not going to help.

josh