Re: Procedure for dealing with 3rd party applications

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 04:10:14PM -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> So one thing I been thinking quite a bit about here is that for many developers whose application could potentially be included might
> want to be able to have a non-public discussion with us on it first. There could be many reasons for this including not wanting to create
> a public expectation of something before they finally decided upon doing it to needing to figure out some technical or legal details before committing

I really dislike the confidential part and the reasons given for it
aren't very convincing. Why do you think this is necessary to achieve
the purpose of the 3rd party software policy as set out by the council?

If there's a need to work out legal details in a non-public manner, then
confidentiality should be restricted to those legal discussions only.

Why should the fact that the Workstation WG reached out to vendor X (and
the accompanying rationale for it) be kept a secret?

I have a hard time seeing any additional secrecy in this process as
working towards advancing Fedora's mission. So if it is required at all
in specific instances (like possibly with legal), I'd like those to be
well-justified. Public communication should be the obvious default.

This is still Fedora after all.

Thanks,
Lars