Re: Consider tuned-gui as an important element for "advanced" users on the Fedora Workstation

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016, 1:08:30 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Liam <liam.bulkley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This is sufficiently vague that I have no idea what you're referring
>>> to. What option?

>> The option to decide what actions should be taken upon lid closure, and
>> those actions are context dependent.

> They're hardware and firmware dependent, they also depend on the style
> and reputation the DE development team wants to have. I think it's
> completely reasonable for a team to withhold options that will suck
> for most of their users.

> Apple definitely doesn't provide such an option. I don't think
> Microsoft does either.

> Apple has a "clamshell" mode with some of their laptops, one of which
> I happen to have. If power, an external display, and USB keyboard are
> connected, I can wake a laptop with lid closed (the sleep on lid
> closing is an immutable policy) and use the laptop while it's closed.
> The idea is that the laptop all wired up as it is, will be on a flat
> smooth surface with sufficient cooling, and the external display gets
> all of the graphics processing and memory (this is a single display
> mode where the internal display is disabled).

Exactly.  Except it's hardly a new thing, nor restricted to Apple.

I've  been following this discussion, and must say that on the whole I
am  rather dismayed (shocked?) at the assumptions about how others use
their  equipment. Especially that there could ever be one working mode
that  is  somehow magically deemed to be optimal (let alone sufficient
and correct) for everyone, with zero flexibility.

Shades  of  the  decision  to  remove  the Gnome power off and restart
options  by  default  -  even  on a system configured for Windows dual
boot!

With  Windows 7 (and XP before it) the laptop is fully usable with the
lid  closed. The internal display is blanked, and the external display
is used with the maximum graphics resolution. Open the laptop lid, and
the  internal  display  activates, with the external display mirroring
the internal display resolution.

I've also used a Dell D810 laptop and docking station under W7, XP and
Fedora  ~12+  (Gnome  2  and later Mate on that laptop) in exactly the
same manner.

With  this  type  of  setup,  I power on, restart or power off without
messing with the laptop lid in any way - I never touch it. The docking
station  has  its  own  power  button.  Hell,  half the time my cat is
sleeping  on  the  nice  warm  laptop  lid,  and  does  not wish to be
disturbed.

In both Windows and Fedora (on the Dell), in my experience the suspend
policy  is set up separately for AC and battery power. Since at home I
run with the KVM, I disable suspend-on-AC mode to avoid losing my work
VPN  connection  while focussing on a local system. The screensaver is
set to lock at 45 minutes of "inactivity" - nothing more.

Al