The status of Fedora Media Writer (was LiveUSB Creator)

Hi,

I was asked to come here and write a few words about the status of the new Fedora Media Writer for Fedora, in a few major points for now. I haven't read through the full meeting log yet so more stuff can follow down the thread.

== Mac OS X Support

I was not able yet to build a working .app package with the LiveUSB Creator for Mac. I have used probably every tool there is to freeze Python scripts while using direct Qt installs, Macports and Homebrew. Usually I hit issues either with missing dynamic library or broken QML imports. That means there's not a problem with the code itself but with the way how to distribute a usable package to the users.

If there is anyone looking to help me on that, I have uploaded just a basic source code package to [1]. It's just a simple PyQt5/QML application with just two source files but fundamentally the same as the FMW.

For now, I hope a Python3 port (yes, it's still Python2) will resolve this. An other option is just to ditch the horrible Python mess and rewrite the whole tool to a saner language that's actually portable.

== Design

I heard there are some raised voices regarding the design of the application, that it's not the same as the design on gnome-design-team's github. While there are some differences, I think they are mostly the same.

The main difference now is that now you can choose your achitecture with a radiobox set in the main window below the name of your chosen Fedora flavor instead of a small popup.

If you're concerned with the lack of headerbar usage, that's because the app is written in Qt - there's no direct support for putting anything into the header bar.

== Windows Support

Current plan is to distribute the application as a .exe installer created using NSI. Either the installer or the application (or both?) will have to be signed using a code signing certificate which we currently don't have but can be obtained for I think 14 euros per year for open source projects. As mentioned in the meeting yesterday, due to a communication hiccup between me and releng, I expected I will be the one building and signing the Windows package.

Now we're trying to resolve this with dgilmore. Currently it seems we'll have to have a Windows machine running the builds or use upstream binary packages in Wine because it's not possible to just compile upstream Python using MinGW - it'd have to be heavily patched with some shady patches lying on random peoples' blogs.

For future releases, it would be good to provide this as a single self-extracting interpreter, though - in a similar way Windows installer itself does it.

That's about it for now. I guess there will be questions and I'm here to answer them.

Martin

[1] https://mbriza.fedorapeople.org/pythontest.tar.gz