Re: Wayland blockers for F24 default

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-02-22 at 19:59 -0600, kendell clark wrote:
>>
>> option. Easier said than done. This is also true for gtk2.0. There
>> are
>> some, though fortunately not a lot, of accessibility bugs that have
>> been
>> fixed in gtk3, plus lots of new features. Though gtk2 is still being
>> updated, I believe, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that
>> gtk2 is in maintenance mode. This means that some of the bugs in the
>> mate desktop are fixable but aren't getting fixed because no one is
>> committing a11y fixes to gtk2. It's a sad situation I'm not sure how
>> resolve without getting up on my soap box, which I really hate to do.
>> So
>> exhausting.
> Yes, gtk2 is in maintenance mode. I won't stop anybody from fixing a11y
> issues in the branch. But the reality is: nobody is showing up to fix
> a11y issues in gtk3, so I'm not holding my breath for gtk2.
>
> We are fixing a11y issues to the best of our abilities, but the
> capacity is limited. Accessibility relies on a whole stack of
> components (atk, at-spi2-core, at-spi2-atk,...) that are all very
> weakly maintained. at-spi2-core has had <10 commits in the 3.19 cycle.
> "hi
nods, this is why I've taken on the task of filing a11y bugs, to change
all of that. I will say that, in my own personal opinion, and I've used
both windows and osx, that despite the limited resources this is a
fantastically accessible OS, especially the gui layor. If I sounded at
all ungreatful, I want to dispell that right here. I want to get more
interest in fixing linux a11y, including older components, not drive
people away. The main problem is, I file the bugs. Once the bugs are
filed, whether it gets fixed is out of my hands. I want to change that,
but don't know how. I can't code, and I have so little money as to be
useless in that regard. I've written about this on opensource.com,
hoping to garner at least some interest, but got little but "why don't
you just use windows" comments from anonymous posters. I did get a lot
of encouragement though, which is how I've been able to continue without
burning out.
Thanks
Kendell Clark