Re: Wayland blockers for F24 default

I agree with Paul, I don't think all of this needs to be finished for
the alpha release, but I do think there needs to be some substantial
and testable implementation for the features we decide are blockers,
even if the results of those tests are "it's not working very well."

I propose that we revisit any issues that we agree are blockers, and
make our go/no-go decision at the last WG meeting before the alpha
freeze -- that is, two weeks from today -- based on the progress of any
hero development that occurs before then.

If we decide to go, then I propose we use the standard blocker bug
process to track unfinished blocker issues as automatic *beta* release
blockers using the standard blocker process, and simply delay F24 beta
until they are done. It's time to eliminate uncertainty and set clear
expectations early on for what we will be releasing. This will
incentivize developers to treat Wayland issues (such as the shrinking
gnome-terminal) more seriously.

El mié, 17-02-2016 a las 11:45 -0500, Paul W. Frields escribió:
> * Tablet support and protocols
>   (I take it this is "~equivalent set to what we handle now in
> GNOME")

-1 blocker, only a small minority of users need Wacom tablets, and they
can skip one release. I don't think we'll be dinged too badly for this.
If we're talking about iPad-style tablets (I think we're talking about
Wacom tablets), then that would be an even smaller minority of users.

> * Input methods
>   (Needs a fix for positioning the chooser apparently?)

As we discussed at the meeting, this is already testable in rawhide, so
we don't need to vote on it. Rui is on top of the one remaining issue.
This seems to be on track.

> * On screen keyboard
>   (This seems on a good trajectory from what Matthias said, but
>   doesn't hurt to include.)

+1 blocker

> * Accessibility features
>   (Michael Catanzaro mentioned a set of these taken from
>   <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wayland_features#accessibility_feat
> ures>.
>   However, the outlook seems not good, and IMHO we need a better
> story
>   for a11y users.)

+1 blocker for the features listed on that page: sticky keys, slow
keys, bounce keys, sound keys, visual bell, hover-to-click. Kendell,
are there any other a11y features we should block on? Consider that we
don't seem to have any developers who are experienced with a11y.

Thanks,

Michael