Re: Wayland blockers for F24 default

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 07:19:25PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-02-17 at 19:57 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> > Why would they have to do that? The X session isn't going anywhere
> > you
> > can just login into X.
>
> This is a really good point... I was thinking "how many users will we
> piss off if they cannot use feature XYZ," when I should have been
> thinking "how many users will want to stop using Wayland because
> feature XYZ is not implemented?" and "how serious a PR problem would
> this be for us if not implemented?"

One of the reasons to change the default is to get more exposure and
attention on Wayland so that bugs can be fixed, improvements made,
etc.

However, the downside to that is there will be LESS exposure and
attention paid to X11.  If there are too many feature regressions in
Wayland compared to X11, some users who have no choice but to run X11
to get the features they require may experience bugs that may not be
fixed in a reasonable time since "everyone else has moved on and is
running Wayland".

This has happened over and over again with big changes.  The old stuff
gets left behind.  Nobody wants to work on it anymore.

I think that is one reason why there is resistence to changing the
default until the new thing has feature parity with the old thing.