Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 11:59 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> IIRC we aren't blocking on LUC currently -- so whether this means
> reviving old criteria or creating new ones, that needs to be clear.

Actually we are, though we have been known to handwave it a little:

"Release-blocking live and dedicated installer images must boot when
written to optical media of an appropriate size (if applicable) and
when written to a USB stick with any of the officially supported
methods."

from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_24_Beta_Release_Criteria ;,
it's the first footnote to "Release-blocking images must boot", titled
"Supported media types". So the official rule is that we block on all
three 'officially supported methods' - dd-style write, litd, and luc.
There's a bunch of wiggle room in terms of exactly how well we expect
luc to work, and what exactly it means to 'block a release' on
something that is not part of the release, but the criterion is there.

> OTOH, the functions of LUC are pretty well constrained.  So maybe this
> isn't too large a change.

What would actually be an *improvement* is if we killed litd and luc's
'cp mode', and only supported the new dd-only luc and dd-style writes.
That would substantially reduce the exposure we currently have to three
different writing modes: dd, litd, and luc-cp.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey