Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Well, whenever I've seen it discussed, there's been an understanding
>>> that there's a difference there; we do ship a lot of non-release-
>>> blocking media, after all. The idea was that declaring that i686 media
>>> are not blocking is less drastic than out-and-out dropping them, and
>>> gives WGs / SIGs the power to choose whether they want to keep shipping
>>> the images or not. So I'd say you still have a choice to make here: do
>>> you want to keep producing non-blocking 32-bit Workstation media in a
>>> sort of 'here they are if you REALLY want them' way, or just stop
>>> producing them entirely?
>>
>> If they are made, is QA going to commit to testing them as they have
>> in the past even if none of the issues found are going to block the
>> release?  If so, then we have a discussion to have.  If not, then I
>> really don't see the point in shipping untested media.
>
> If it's non-blocking, QA may only incidentally tests them. Xfce spin
> is non-blocking. And while there is a test case for it, that doesn't
> mean QA makes sure that someone runs that test case. There's a pile of
> media and images that Fedora is shipping these days and I'd be
> surprised if QA is testing all of them.

Oh nevermind. Yeah, if Workstation WG is going to ship an i686
Workstation, then QA needs to test it, is what you're suggesting.

Is there any precedent for an official (blocking) product, to have an
arch that is non-blocking? Fedora Server has ARM, but they block on
it. So it seems like it's a grey area whether there can be such an
unofficial non-blocking variant of Workstation and maybe isn't even a
good idea and should be called something else. Presumably it'd go on a
different page from Workstation? I think the WG should either own it
completely, or walk away from it completely (it could become a spin),
rather than have this less defined middle ground.

--
Chris Murphy